Mr. William Nord was one of the original land owners in the district. There is evidence to say that he was a Swedish sea captain who transported the first cargo of wheat from Australia and in appreciation received a grant of land from the Australian government. The Nord family went on to establish a large farm and orchard in the area.
The name “Nords Wharf” derives from the use of Mr. Nord’s wharf by the Lake Macquarie ferry operators who once transported coalminers to this location.
The miners would then trek through the bush to the ocean side settlement of Catherine Hill Bay to work in the Wallarah pits. This mode of transport also provided an avenue of employment for retrenched miners from as far away as Wallsend and Minmi districts who wished to obtain work at Catherine Hill Bay.
These men would arrive on a Sunday evening and be picked up for the return journey on Friday afternoon.
Annually, during Spring, aborigines from many outlying districts would congregate in this area for a mass walkabout. The route they used for this ritual gathering was called “Blackfellow’s Track.”
Today this same track is approximately the location of Government Road. At the turn of the century a number of aborigines also lived in huts at Cams Wharf.
Known as Wallarah School – In August 1900 application was made for a provisional school listing 25 children for attendance. This first school was constructed on William Nord’s property on the waterfront at the northern end of Government Road.
The original building was 18ft. by 14ft. with a 10ft. walls, and 7ft. long cedar desks with holes for ink wells in each. It had a 18ft.x7ft. verandah which had one end enclosed to form a hat room with 24 hat pegs and two wash basins. The ceiling was not lined. Twenty two year old Elise Lane was the first teacher. It became a Public school in January 1902. In September 1919 the school was renamed Nords Wharf Public School to save confusion with the Catherine Hill Bay school which was also known as ‘Wallarah’ school.
William Nord, George Henderson and Aaron Rees.
Chinese Gardens established at Cams Wharf.
Opened 1st January 1916. Water Supply – Connected 1958