After the many pelicans which used to be seen there. The few pelicans seen today are the survivors of vast flocks that used to inhabit the lake. Originally the name applies to Swansea as well. The aboriginal name for the area was Ky-yee-bah meaning place for games.
Corroborees were held in this area, and canoe races and other games were held by the Aborigines in and around the Lake Channel. There were still Aboriginal people living in the area in 1929.
Portion 99 and 99 (Kahibah Parish) granted to George Canley.
D.P .19251 the “Camley Estate” declared on 15/5/1937 and encompassing Lorna Street and Soldiers Road.
In the 1920′s a plant and flower nursery existed called Bull’s Garden.
The area was well served by water transport (see Swansea) and later by Swansea bus service.
Officially opened as a non-official post office on 1 January 1927. Prior to this date it operated as a receiving office.
Public school opened in January 1938; it was known as Marks Point School until September 1950.